Sunday, May 31, 2009
Thursday, May 28, 2009
really annoying - and it kind of has a "nnn" sound in there somewhere - hunnnh?
"would you like something to drink?"
"would you like to go outside?"
like she's so busy playing she didn't hear me, but then she will answer a few moments after the "hunh" - "yes." so i know she heard what i said.
so a few mornings ago i'm telling mm how incredibly annoying it is to hear her say this every time i ask her a simple question. i walk into the kitchen and mm asks me,
"would you like some coffee?"
ah. got it now. not so annoying after all, i'm thinking.
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
some helpful advice for burning memories...
1. read everything first. revel in how smart you used to be.
2. have drinks and snacks ready. notebooks burn slowly.
3. watch out for flying paper ash.
4. the little metal spirals won't burn.
5. get the tissues. you'll be more emotional than you think.
6. let your spouse throw in the pictures. you know the ones.
7. ditto for the cards and letters.
time is the fire in which we burn.
Saturday, May 23, 2009
Friday, May 22, 2009
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Monday, May 18, 2009
our victory garden is planted...
it was kinda easy and rather enjoyable. the kids were semi-angels. it was sort of a fun activity.
our white house garden includes - tomatoes, spanish onions, banana peppers, cucumbers, hungarian peppers, sweet basil, bibb lettuce, romaine lettuce, patio pickles, and strawberries.
bring on the bruschetta!
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
we like a challenge. and yeah, it took MANY bags of south-of-the-border pistachios, but we finally did it. we found not one, but TWO unopened nuts.
what do you think of them 'stachios?
nuts in may
"Everybody's Nuts® guarantees that 100% of our nuts will be open. If you find a closed nut in your package, simply print and return the closed nut that snuck his way into your package and we will send you a coupon for a FREE bag of nuts. We'll get that wayward nut to open up to us about his "closed mouth" issue!"
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Thursday, May 7, 2009
(because yinz know yinz need a list from the 'burgh!)
read here for my inspiration - the traveling circus - love this blog.
5 great things about being a mom...
5. i can now blame my disney obsession on my kids. whew!
4. my kids kicked my ocd's ass. and guess what? i don't miss it so much. i fought it for a while, don't underestimate my ocd, but i get it now - my kids have made me a better mom by forcing me to look at what's really important in life - and it ain't dirt.
3. stained clothes = no biggie. just pretend like you've never seen that stain before... "oh my gosh, that must have JUST happened!"
2. kid food. come on, ya'll know you love it. just admit it already.
1. butterfly kisses. playing in the rain. hot chocolate. flashlights. bugs. glitter nail polish. movie night. coloring. fleece blankets. princess dresses. knock-knock jokes. play doh. tea parties. legos. popsicles. giggles. tub toys. juice bags. band-aids. pokemon cards. yahtzee. squirt guns. dancing. dodgeball. sand. bikes. bubbles. nature hikes. chocolate milk. chapter books. artwork. backpacks. pop tarts. bear hugs. never having to grow up. ever.
there are a couple of other mom blogs that i read and adore. if you see this, i would love to see your lists...
my big fat italian-polish family - new baby in 'da house!
real simple - makes me chuckle.
i also peek in on motherhood uncensored.
all right, now it's your turn. do you have a list?
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
i know it.
so obviously, my kids are afraid of the dark also.
i totally understand. rightfully so, in my opinion.
last night g was afraid to brush his teeth alone. okay, now this is getting a little ridiculous. is he saying he is afraid of the dark, or using this as an excuse not to brush his teeth?
(or any other fill-in-the-blank task)
"this is our house. it is a safe zone."
"i'm still scared."
"no monsters allowed."
"i'm afraid of the dark."
"there are lots of lights on."
"i don't want to go by myself."
"there is nothing to be afraid of here."
"can you go with me?"
"it is right down the hallway, i can see you from the couch."
"i'm still scared."
"what exactly is it that you are afraid of?"
"the invisible monster."
pause. wait for it. we walk together to the bathroom.
"so what makes you think the invisible monster wouldn't just get me too?"
yes, i suppose he can just send the therapy bills to me. insurance covers stuff like this, right?
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
my very first trip to buffalo was spring break of '92. also know as the blizzard of '92. i was amazed at the amount of snow - at least 5 feet - and at the way people just pushed it aside and went to work.
people actually live in this tundra? like year-round? seriously?
mm's family was headed out to shovel the driveway. i quickly played the unprepared card. oh gosh, i didn't bring my warm gloves. i guess i won't be able to help. i'll just have to stay in here with my hot chocolate. to which my future in-laws smiled and pulled out a GIANT tub of winter accessories. we have plenty! oh gee thanks, that is so great. touche.
so i shoveled. and shoveled. and anyone that knows me can laugh now. go ahead. my in-laws love this story.
anyway, that evening, mm got tickets for the sabres game. we bundled up and drove downtown. mm parked the car and we walked to the arena. as soon as i stepped out of the car, the wind, knocked the breath out of me. it. was. so. freaking. cold.
"how far is the arena?"
"but i don't even see it."
it was my first hockey game. i did not want to go. hockey is so barbaric. i am not a violent person. i avoid confrontation. always. (hence the shoveling)
mm bribed me with nachos. hey, he knows me. we sat down for face-off. my toes were completely frozen. but then guess what happened?
i loved it! every crazy second. i loved the hits and fights and the nachos. the way the blood bounced off the ice. how teeth went flying, but were rarely noticed. and when they sent rob ray in to exact some revenge. to kick some ass. psychologists go figure.
we have been to many games since. but now we park much closer.
and since the sabres are watching from home - i guess i'll cheer for the pens. shh. don't tell mm.